There are many human foods that aren’t good for our canine companions—it’s likely that you already have some in your kitchen! The trick is preventing the problem ahead of time so that your pet doesn’t ingest anything harmful. Here are five foods you should never feed your dog:
Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions, as well as similar foods like chives, scallions, shallots, and leeks, aren’t safe for dogs. These sorts of foods can damage your pet’s red blood cells when ingested in large enough quantities, potentially even leading to a deadly case of anemia. All forms—raw, dried, powdered, cooked, etc.—of garlic, onions, and related foods pose a threat, so don’t leave them within reach of your dog.
You’re probably already aware that dogs and chocolate don’t mix. It’s one of the most dangerous—and most common—pet poisons out there! Chocolate of all types (dark, milk, powdered, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.) can harm a dog who ingests too much; potential symptoms include increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse if a dog doesn’t receive prompt treatment.
Many candies and gums, as well as other common household items like toothpaste, are sweetened with an artificial sugar substitute called xylitol. It’s not harmful for humans, but it’s a dangerous toxin for our four-legged friends! Xylitol’s primary danger lies in its ability to cause the release of insulin when your dog’s system mistakes it for real sugar; this leads to hypoglycemia and resulting lethargy, vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and more. Keep your pooch far away from candy and sweets!
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes, raisins, and currants have proven toxic to dogs—and cats—in the past, although it still isn’t known exactly why these foods are poisonous. Some dogs even seem to be able to ingest them without incident. That doesn’t make it worth the risk! Keep your dog away from any fruit trays, and never feed your pooch these foods as a snack.
It’s tempting to give your dog salty snack foods like potato chips, crackers, or pretzels, but it’s best to reconsider. When a dog ingests too much salt, it can lead to excessive thirst and increased urination, and large amounts can even cause sodium ion poisoning! Keep the salty snacks to yourself.
These aren’t the only dangerous foods out there—call us today to learn about more!